Water Damage Tips
What not to do:
- Do not use an ordinary household vacuum to remove water
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or wet floors
- Do not go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on
- Do not lift tacked-down carpet without professional help. Lifting the carpet incorrectly could promote damage and delamination
- Do not wait to call for professional help. Damage from the water and bacteria growth can begin within hours.
- Do not disturb mold if visible
Fire Damage Cleanup Tips
The following tips are for after the fire has been extinguished. Call 911 for any fire in your home.
- Contact your insurance carrier immediately.
- If you cannot be certain the building is safe or if you have any question regarding personal safety, stay out and have a professional make an assessment.
- Secure the property to prevent further damage or vandalism.
- Open windows for ventilation.
- Do not touch porcelain or precious metals with your bare hands, as the oil on your hand may cause the soot to set in the item permanently.
- Change furnace filter if blower is operating.
- Empty freezer and refrigerator completely if electricity is off, and prop door open with a rolled towel or newspaper.
- Remove pets to clean and safe environment.
- Do not attempt to reconnect utilities yourself!